We have all seen the new Instagram feature called Reels, if you haven’t make sure to update your Instagram app to get the latest feature before you keep scrolling. It was no shock when this feature was added due to that rapid rise of TikTok globally, and with Instagram having had to win with Instagram stories which they got the idea from snapchat, Reels seems to be steady gaining ground with users trying their hands on the new feature out.
Instagram launched Reels in 50 Countries including US and also plans to extend it to more countries over time seeing the progression of the feature. According to research, US based TikTok users aged from 25-34 had an increase of 22.4% in January to 27.4% in April while from ages of 18-24 fell from 41.1% to 35.3%
In similarity with TikTok, Reels allows users to record 15 sec video clips with the music of their choice, with AR effects that can be shared on stories. The reels feature can also be shared on the explore feed on Instagram so users who don’t follow you can see your post and then engage.
1. Open the stories tab and select the Reels option at the bottom.
2. Click on the audio option and select your preferred song for the video or use the original audio from the video. A user can upload a video or record directly from Instagram
3. AR effects can be included or edit using the speed, timer or edit options on the left hand side.
4. Before you upload, you can add a caption, choose a cover image and add hashtags if you feel.
5. You can now share to your followers and to the explore page.
With this said, Instagram still has loads of work to go, with trying to beat Tiktok and make users focus more on Reels. But we have to say that we have been seeing a whole lot of people jumping on Reels either on out feeds or explore page. The algorithm favors Reels as they did with IGTV for it to get more organic reach whereby your followers do not matter.
It’s just a matter of time till we fully see what Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook have in store on how to overtake TikTok but it will be a whole lot of work. Well we are excited and can’t wait for the remaining months to come.